Whois is a protocol that looks and provides information about domain from records of domain name registrars worldwide.
It allows user to search for specific domain name’s availability, if it’s registered, it will provide information of the assigned entity/person that is registered to. Such information includes:-
- The name and contact details of the entity/person (Registrant) who owns the domain.
- The name and contact details of the organization or company entity (registrar) that registered the search domain name.
- Search domain’s date of registration.
- The name servers.
- Expiration date of the search domain.
- Sometimes it provides the administrative and technical contact details.